Monday 28 October 2013

Foundation Matters and new Beginnings

It was a gorgeous fall day on Friday so the dogs and I busied ourselves with numerous outside activities. As I hauled in wood and pulled out tomato plants, I found myself musing on how much I have grown as a trainer and as a person over this past incredible couple of years. My good dogs spent the day with me, hanging out, playing - free to roam but choosing stay in close proximity. They are such excellent companions.
On Saturday, I taught two Foundation Classes and watched more good dogs enjoying their people. Watching people become empowered with the essential tools to motivate their dogs to want to learn is highly rewarding for me! I can honestly say - without any hesitation - that these are by far the best results I have had with training people and their dogs. I could not be happier with the progress all the dogs and their people are making.
What's different? This is a foundation class built on what I learned from months of observing, loving and raising three litters of puppies AND from years of taking classes, reading, attending seminars, showing dogs ..... the puppies seem to have somehow solidified years of working hard to learn "stuff" about dogs as fast as I possibly could! They stripped everything down and showed me what was possible with more clarity than I have ever had before.
After class on Saturday afternoon, I found myself thinking long and hard about one of the "puppies" (now two) who lives with a dear friend of mine. My friend is taking my class and also a class with another trainer. She has commented more than once on the trainer's admiration for how quickly her dog learns new things - this makes me so very happy.
As we move towards winter, the frigid season of reflection and darkness, it is exceedingly pleasing to know that I am heading in the right direction


No comments:

Post a Comment